Marie Thomas working for Medical doctors With out Borders welcoming Ukrainian refugees in Palanca.
Supply: Copyright Peter Bräunig/Medical doctors With out Borders used with Medical doctors With out Borders’ permission.
I interviewed Marie Thomas, a psychologist working for Medical doctors With out Borders a.okay.a. Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF). Marie went on an MSF mission in March 2022 to 2 websites: one in Ukraine, on the Moldovan border, and the opposite one in Palanca, 5 kilometers into Moldova. Her mission was to judge what was urgently wanted by refugees and to create a staff of Moldovan employees to deal with these wants.
Marie mentioned that on the border between Moldova and Ukraine, plenty of buses and automobiles have been arriving, largely from the cities of Odesa and Mykolaiv in Ukraine. Typically 5 buses with no less than 60 individuals in every bus would arrive on the identical time.
The scenes there have been hectic, with ladies and youngsters crying, having to separate from males between the ages of 18 and 60, who have been prohibited by legislation from leaving Ukraine.
On the border between Moldova and Ukraine, MSF was the one reduction group (with volunteers from the Moldovan authorities) serving to refugees who would usually spend quarter-hour to 2 hours there.
MSF’s second web site, in Palanca, provided Ukrainian refugees an in a single day place to remain whereas ready to journey to different elements of Moldova or to different nations.
Marie recounts that she recruited a Moldovan neighborhood healthcare employee who had expertise supervising and coordinating tasks. This neighborhood healthcare employee recruited six different Moldovan employees. So, the MSF staff was fabricated from 8 individuals, Marie, who’s French, and, as Marie mentioned, “seven extraordinary Moldovan ladies.”
The temperature was -10 levels Celsius (14 levels Fahrenheit) and, initially, the staff slept in tents with out warmth. Happily, quickly after, MSF ordered massive, prefabricated dwellings which have been effectively heated.
The refugees have been largely Ukrainian ladies and youngsters (typically with their pets) however there have been additionally older handicapped individuals in addition to Roma individuals who had their belongings in trash baggage. These Roma ladies have been very younger, and sometimes a lot poorer than Ukrainian ladies.
At each websites (the border and in Palanca), Marie and her staff labored on offering psychological first help. Listed here are what Marie describes as her staff’s 12 greatest achievements:
12 objectives achieved by Marie and her staff in March 2022:
1. Consider the primal wants of refugees: Consider the refugees’ want for meals and water, garments, and hygiene merchandise and direct the refugees to the place they may discover what they wanted.
2. Consider the psychological well being of refugees: Train the newly created MSF staff to judge the severity of the refugees’ psychological well being: Marie talked about that it isn’t all the time the individuals who cry the loudest who’re probably the most affected and probably the most weak. The people who find themselves listless, frozen, and don’t discuss would possibly want pressing psychological assist. The seven Moldovan healthcare employees have been taught to take care of these individuals, reassure them, inform them, but in addition to respect their silence.
3. Train Healthcare employees how one can discuss to refugees: The healthcare employees have been additionally taught how one can discuss with refugees requested questions comparable to, “How can I greatest assist you?” or “What do you want?” MSF additionally taught the Moldovans what questions to not ask, comparable to, “What did you undergo?” or “The place is your husband?” It was necessary to permit the refugees time to take a seat down and calm down.
4. Present touring info: Necessary info was given to the refugees on the place to go from Palanca and how one can get to the completely different cities and/or nations.
5. Train refugees easy rest methods like deep respiration utilizing colours: The staff was taught to ask every particular person which colour was calming and was a “good” colour for them, and which colour was anxiousness-producing and a “dangerous” colour for them. After figuring out which colour was which, the mom or the kid or each on the identical time have been requested to breathe deeply, imagining the “good” colour coming into their lungs after which to exhale imagining the “dangerous” colour popping out of their lungs, repeating this 3 to 10 instances, till they felt extra relaxed.
6. Create a welcome space for teenagers: MSF created a welcome space for teenagers with toys, tables at their peak, in addition to drawing supplies. The youngsters cherished to speak to one another and draw. This gave them a couple of minutes of normalcy of their hectic day. The youngsters’ drawings have been displayed on the partitions for everyone to admire, and the youngsters cherished that.
7. Give children a mini plush animal as a companion for the youngsters’s journey: New mini plush animals have been purchased by MSF domestically and one toy was given to every baby. That toy was going to be with the kid for the remainder of the journey, be the kid’s companion, and assist the kid all through the kid’s journey. That often introduced a smile to the kid’s face.
8. Present child carriers and child rattles: The staff additionally offered child carriers and child rattles as a result of there have been loads of very younger youngsters. The youngest new child Marie noticed was two weeks previous.
9. Create non-public areas with recent diapers and wipes: MSF created non-public areas with recent diapers and wipes for girls to alter their child’s diapers and to breastfeed.
10. Create an space with free garments: There was an space with free garments the place all the garments have been sorted by measurement (a substantial quantity of garments have been donated by the individuals of Moldova).
11. Assist households talk with their family members: It was necessary that the households may proceed speaking with their family members who stayed in Ukraine. Although many of the refugees had cell telephones, these cell telephones couldn’t be used as soon as they crossed into Moldova, so MSF staff members used their very own telephones to dial refugees’ household numbers whereas the Moldovan authorities offered free sim playing cards in order that the refugees may keep up a correspondence with their family members.
12. Present wheelchairs (with the assist of Handicap Worldwide) and strollers: MSF offered wheelchairs (with the assist of Handicap Worldwide) for handicapped individuals and strollers for kids as a result of loads of handicapped individuals had left with out their wheelchairs and loads of ladies had left with out their strollers (wheelchairs and strollers couldn’t slot in buses).
What’s the scenario in Could 2022?
Because of the lower of recent arrivals in Palanca, the 2 MSF websites simply closed.
MSF is using over 550 individuals inside Ukraine, coaching medical personnel, offering medical provides & psychological well being assist.
Supply: Copyright MSF/ Medical doctors With out Borders, used with Medical doctors With out Borders’ permission.
As a result of there are actually over 8 million displaced individuals (in accordance with the Worldwide Group for Migration) inside Ukraine, MSF has prolonged its exercise in Ukraine, using over 550 individuals working in Ukraine all around the nation, coaching lots of of physicians and nurses, offering drugs and medical provides to native hospitals in want, and offering psychological well being assist to refugees and to native medical groups.
In every Kharkiv subway station, lots of of individuals sleep at night time.
Supply: Copyright Mohammad Ghannam/Medical doctors With out Borders. used with Medical doctors With out Borders permission.
MSF now organizes a number of cell medical clinics all through Ukraine, amongst these, underground cell medical clinics within the subway of Kharkiv (northeastern Ukraine) the place, in accordance with native authorities, 350,000 individuals nonetheless dwell.
MSF groups go from one station to the opposite offering psychological assist and treating easy medical issues comparable to higher respiratory infections and hypertension. MSF additionally offers out water filters so that individuals have drinkable water, cleansing provides, and microwave ovens so that individuals can heat their meals.
MSF organizes medical trains to evacuate wounded sufferers from the East to hospitals in Lviv and educates medical employees on how one can take care of mass casualties.
Copyright 2022 @Chris Gilbert, MD, PhD