Supply: alexander suhorucov/pexels
Low-context communication will be outlined as communication that’s extra direct, particular, and to the purpose. Phrases spoken can typically be interpreted and understood actually, with fewer intricate elements thought-about.
Low-context communication typically contrasts with high-context communication, which is extra oblique and ambiguous.
Primarily based on the work of anthropologist Edward Corridor, areas on the planet the place low-context communication is prevalent embody (and should not restricted to): Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Nice Britain, Eire, Israel, Italy, Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, and america.
Though every tradition is distinct and complicated in its personal manner, and communication kinds are additional differentiated by elements reminiscent of language, custom, and customized, a basic understanding of low-context communication could be a place to begin for recognizing and navigating cross-cultural variations in romantic and office relationships.
Beneath are ten traits of low-context communicators:
1. Low-context communicators are inclined to “say what they imply.” It’s a kind
of linear communication, which speaks on to relatively than across the level.
“Get to the purpose.”
“Cease beating across the bush.”
“Lower to the chase.”
— Frequent low-context sayings
2. Low-context communicators typically start with the principle level, adopted by supporting particulars.
3. Low-context communication is commonly verbally clear, particular, exact
4. Low-context communication is commonly sequential and geared in direction of compartmentalizing concepts.
5. Low-context communicators want to deal with issues instantly. Open discussions, disagreements, and even confrontations are sometimes seen as a part of the problem-solving course of. They have a tendency to really feel higher permission to debate points instantly and particularly with each friends and superiors.
6. Low-context communication tends to supply reward to people over teams. Particular person achievement and credit score are solely minimally (if in any respect) mirrored onto the group he or she belongs to.
7. Low-context communicators are inclined to take higher initiative in getting their efforts and accomplishments observed. They rely totally on themselves to realize recognition and usually tend to “promote themselves” as a way to achieve visibility, fame, and promotion.
8. In low-context cultures, agreements, contracts, and job descriptions are sometimes exactly spelled out in writing, which will be legally binding.
9. In low-context communication, silence is much less valued. Silence is commonly seen as a weak spot. Silent persons are typically perceived as having nothing to say and missing power or confidence. In a low-context tradition, individuals who don’t converse up are usually ignored, invisible, and
taken benefit of.
“The squeaky wheel will get the grease.”
— Frequent saying within the U.S.
“It’s tact that’s golden, not silence.”
— Samuel Butler
10. A low-context communicator generally finds it troublesome to talk with a high-context communicator, because the low-context communicator sometimes dislikes ambiguity and finds the shortage of exact info from the high-context communicator irritating.
© 2022 by Preston C. Ni. All rights reserved.